Sunday, August 6, 2017

Quick Tips: Sister Day

Today is Sister Day, and Author Jeanette Hanscome shares tips not only for today but every day.


Quick Tips: Sister Day

My two younger sisters and I have a bond 

that friends envy. Here are three of our 

secrets:
·  Be sweet to each other. When I moved back home after my husband left, my sisters welcomed me, listened without prying, and loved my son. Three years later, when I published a book, they were my biggest fans. 
Sisters grow closer when they share difficulties and successes.

· Play together. My sister Sherry and I are visually impaired—we can’t drive or see colors; Kristy sees perfectly. Shopping together doubles as fun sister time. Kristy is our designated fashion consultant.
Plan sister time. It can be as simple as hanging out a park while the kids play, or setting up Facetime for long distance.

· Don’t overuse “family helps each other.” I am “the aunt who bakes,” but Sherry still asks before assuming I can help her daughter make a cake. We’re family, but we’re also busy grown women. 
It’s easy to take advantage of family. Know when to ask for help and when to give your sister a break. 

If you’re thinking, I don’t have a good relationship with my sister

remember that girlfriends can also be like sisters. The same secrets 

apply!


Jeanette Hanscome is an author, writing teacher, and speaker from the San Francisco Bay Area. Her newest book, Suddenly Single Mom: 52 Messages of Hope, Grace, and Promise, published by Worthy Inspired, is her first devotional for women after many years of writing for teen girls and tweens.
You can connect with Jeanette on her Facebook page.
Here are two of her books:


You also might want to check out these other quick tips:

Preparing a Child's Heart for Easter
Showing Kindness Every Day
Fresh Starts
Keeping Your Mind Strong

No comments:

Post a Comment