Sunday, June 5, 2016

Raised Garden

We recently finished a project that many of us had a part in.
 I decided to make a raised garden. Because of the dogs, it had to be high enough they couldn't get into it.

In our city, people throw their junk curbside to be picked up. I was driving and saw a wooden structure in a trash pile. I told Rick and Ty about it. Next day I drove by it again and hoped it would still be there later when Rick got home from work and was going to get it.

But on my way home from my errand, I saw the trash truck at that pile. It lifted its claw and came down smack on top of the pile, and wood went splintering everywhere. My heart sank. I'd just lost what I was going to use to build the garden.

Or so I thought.

But then I turned onto our road and saw this:



Ty had seen the truck pass our house. He didn't have his van yet, so he grabbed the wagon and ran down the street and got the biggest part of the wood structure. He was definitely my hero that day.


So this became the base.

I bought a board for the top and cut it to 43" x  48".

We used a staple gun to attach black material that is actually to keep weeds from growing. For this project, we used it to cover the board.



Then we used screws to fasten the board to the frame. 




We bought boards for the garden sides. We waterproofed them before cutting them the right size.

Rick put on the corner brackets.

The walls are 10" high. 

Rick put lattice around the base for looks and to keep the dogs from getting under it. You can see that we've gathered more "junk" to make more gardens.



This one is done. We may try another one soon. What projects have you done lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment